In a continuing effort to highlight excellence, here is a list of books that won high honors in the annual contest for the Newbery Medal, the greatest award given for children’s literature. Title links connect to paperback editions (some hardcover). Kindle editions are available where noted. If the Kindle notation is not a hyperlink, downloads are available through the title link. As I read them, I’ll also link to book reviews on this blog.
Categories: Book Lists
Tags: book lists, books for children, books for kids, children's literature, ebook downloads, ebooks, good reads, kids books, Kindle downloads, Newbery honor books, Newbery honor books 2000-2010, where to find Newberry honor books online, where to find Newbery honor books online
The Newbery Medal is the highest honor given to an American children’s novel. It is awarded yearly by the Association for Library Services to Children, a division of the American Library Association (ALA). In other words, any book stamped with this medallion would be an excellent choice, as would with the yearly runners-up marked with a Newbery Honor medal. The first award dates back to 1922.
I have read widely among the Newbery winners and honor books, and I highly recommend them as examples of the highest quality children’s literature. If you are searching for a great story for yourself or your child, this is an easy place to start. For the convenience of my readers, I have compiled a list of the winners, starting with the most recent, and linked them to print editions on Amazon. I’ve noted when a title is available on Kindle. (If the Kindle notation isn’t a hyperlink, you can access the Kindle version from the book title hyperlink.) And if a review of the book exists on this blog, I have linked to that also. Slowly, I will be adding more reviews.
- 2010 – When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead. Kindle.
- 2009 – The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. Kindle.
- 2008 – Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village, by Laura Amy Schlitz.
- 2007 – The Higher Power of Lucky, by Susan Patron. Kindle.
- 2006 – Criss Cross, by Lynne Rae Perkins. Kindle.
- 2005 – Kira-Kira, by Cynthia Kadohata. Kindle.
- 2004 – The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo. Kindle.
- 2003 – Crispin : The Cross of Lead, by Avi. Kindle. Review
- 2002 – A Single Shard, by Linda Sue Park.
- 2001 – A Year Down Yonder, by Richard Peck. Kindle.
- 2000 – Bud, Not Buddy, by Christopher Paul Curtis. Kindle.
- 1999 – Holes, by Louis Sachar. Kindle.
- 1998 – Out Of The Dust, by Karen Hesse.
- 1997 – The View from Saturday, by E.L. Konigsburg. Kindle.
- 1996 – The Midwife’s Apprentice, by Karen Cushman. Kindle.
- 1995 – Walk Two Moons, by Sharon Creech. Kindle.
- 1994 – The Giver, by Lois Lowry. Kindle.
- 1993 – Missing May, by Cynthia Rylant. Kindle.
- 1992 – Shiloh, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor.
- 1991 – Maniac Magee, by Jerry Spinelli.
- 1990 – Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry. Kindle.
- 1989 – Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices, by Raul Fleishman.
- 1988 – Lincoln: A Photobiography, by Russell Freedman.
- 1987 – The Whipping Boy, by Sid Fleischman. Kindle.
- 1986 – Sarah, Plain and Tall, by Patricia MacLachlan.
- 1985 – The Hero and the Crown, by Robin McKinley.
- 1984 – Dear Mr. Henshaw, by Beverly Cleary. Kindle.
- 1983 – Dicey’s Song, by Cynthia Voigt. Kindle.
- 1982 – A Visit to William Blake’s Inn, by Nancy Willard
- 1981 – Jacob Have I Loved, by Katherine Patterson. Kindle.
- 1980 – A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl’s Journal, 1830-32, by Joan Blos
- 1979 – The Westing Game, by Ellen Raskin. Kindle.
- 1978 – Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Patterson. Kindle. Review
- 1977 – Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Hear my Cry, by Mildred Taylor.
- 1976 – The Grey King, by Susan Cooper. Kindle.
- 1975 – M.C. Higgins, the Great, the Great, by Virginia Hamilton. Kindle.
- 1974 – The Slave Dancer, by Paula Fox.
- 1973 – Julie of the Wolves, by Jean Craighead George.
- 1972 – Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, by Robert C. O’Brien.
- 1971 – Summer of the Swans, by Betsy Byars.
- 1970 – Sounder, by William H. Armstrong. Kindle. Review
- 1969 – The High King, by Lloyd Alexander.
- 1968 – From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Kronigsburg. Kindle.
- 1967 – Up a Road Slowly, by Irene Hunt. Kindle.
- 1966 – I, Juan de Pareja, by Elizabeth Borton deTrevino.
- 1965 – Shadow of a Bull, by Maia Wojciechowska.
- 1964 – It’s Like This, Cat, by Emily Cheney Neville. Free Kindle download. Review
- 1963 – A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle. Kindle.
- 1962 – The Bronze Bow, by Elizabeth George Speare. Kindle. Review
- 1961 – Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O’Dell. Kindle.
My favorites from earlier years:
Categories: Book Lists
Tags: award winning children's books, children's literature, excellent children's literature, good reads, high quality children's books, kids books, middle readers, Newberry Award, Newberry books, Newberry honor books, Newberry Medal, Newberry Medal winners